Sunday, January 31, 2010

Week 5: Internet Stratego

There was a bit more of a leap between tic-tac-toe and stratego than I anticipated. I'm tired. I coded furiously, knowing that I had probably overpromised myself in choosing the project for this week. I could feel myself slowing down as the effort began to wear me down.

I typically don't go for mental marathons. I can feel my mind get tired and become less effective. I believe that everyone's mind does, but that most others who brag about their long hours are either in denial or can't judge the difference in their own work between when they are tired and when they are at their peak.

I'm lazy, you see. I don't want to waste more time than I have to on any particular task. My silly endeavor, 52 weeks of coding, has two purposes. One, to do in coding what is analogous to a long line in fishing. To bait the waters of business with 52 distinct pieces of possibility, and see which, if any, of them get bites. And two, to perfect the art of efficient coding. I want to get these projects done fast. I want to reduce, as much as possible, the time between when I have an idea, and the time when it is tangible enough to show to other people.

So marathon coding represents room for improvement. Next time, I will do it faster.

But lets go over some of the other things that I learned this week:

JQueryUI

This is where I got the drag and drop functionality. Very nifty, very concise.

Firebug

OK, I already knew about firebug, but the Console and the Debugger made this week possible. Yeah, they're that cool.

JQuery attribute selectors.

delete arrayName[elementIndex];

$('someselector').droppable('destroy')

No comments:

Post a Comment