Sunday, January 10, 2010

Week 2: MVC integrated with Sql Server

This week looks quite unimpressive. I have simply integrated the IIS authentication with Sql Server. So it uses a Sql Server database and not a Sql Express database. There were a few hangups that kept this from being a trivial exercise.

1) I couldn't install Sql Server on one of my Hyper-V machines.

I would get most of the way through the installation process and then it would fail, with "an external component has thrown an exception." I tried several variations, including virtual machines and real machines, virtual drives and real drives. All were on Athlon dual core machines.

Eventually, I gave up and installed Sql Server on my dev machine, which is an intel quad core.

2) I had to prep the Sql Server as descrbed in this article: How To: Use Forms Authentication with SQL Server in ASP.NET 2.0.

The salient bit is that one has to run aspnet_regiis.exe. This launches a wizard that does most of the work.

3) I had to make sure that the local user that had the same name as the domain user had the same password locally and on the domain, even though I explicitly specified the domain user. Confused? Just don't have a local user with the same name as a domain user and you shouldn't have to worry about this.

I wish I hadn't floundered so much getting this all set up. I'm still not happy with the set up since I want the whole thing deployed in virtual machines and it isn't right now. Next week I should have the boggle, chat, and MVC working together.

As for now, they are separate:
MVC integrated with Sql Server as the backing for Forms Authentication

Boggle Clone



And the Chat program isn't exposed yet. :(

No comments:

Post a Comment