Saturday, January 2, 2010

Chat program

This week, and I think I'll try to write an application per week, I wrote a very simple chat program using JQuery, Entity Framework, and Sql Express. I'd put up a link to it, but I've spent the last two nights trying to get it deployed. I finally decided that it isn't worth it. The goal was to write the application not spend an infinite amount of time fiddling with IIS to get it deployed.

The actual application is still quite rudimentary. Just a few text boxes on an HTML page. The server side, while simple, should elegantly suffice. The single function takes username, message, and a conversation guid as arguments and returns the entire conversation. I figure that should continue to work at nearly any scale.

JQuery and Ajax are still very cool.

Entity Framework was also mostly painless. I'm rather impressed with it and will be using it again soon.

Some problems that I encountered during this week's exercise:
1) How do you get a text box to scroll to the bottom in HTML and Javascript these days?
2) Deployment was a total failure.

What's Next?
1) Use MVC 2.0 to log in and capture the username automatically.
2) Tic Tac Toe in JQuery
3) Figure out how to get any of this .Net 4.0 stuff deployed.

No comments:

Post a Comment