Sunday, February 21, 2010

Week 8: Hello Android World

I wrote my first android program. It pops up a window that alerts you every time the gps coords of the device change. Okay, this isn't particularly impressive, especially since I copied the bulk of the code from this link. However, getting eclipse installed and the android environment working was a chore.
  • Download Eclipse
  • Download the Android SDK
  • Tell Eclipse where to find the android downloads
  • Tell eclipse about what Android Virtual Device you wish to use.
  • Figure out how to do anything in Eclipse.
  • Wait patiently for the Virtual Device to boot up. 
Getting the application signed for the first time was also a bit of a chore. It requires running two command line tools jarsigner and keytool. Keytool is used to create a keystore that contains the private key which is used by jarsigner to sign the application. After the first time though, the eclipse environment recognized the keystore and I did not have to repeat most of the steps. Once the application was built, copying it to my phone and installing and running it was easy. I had installed Astro File Manager and just clicked on the built file. It then prompted me to install it and then it ran it. Quite smooth.

The compiled application is located here.

No comments:

Post a Comment