Monday, February 28, 2011

Fun with HTML 5

Flash had to make up the difference between what I wanted to do on a web page and what I could do before HTML 5 for two things:
1) Playing sound.
2) Drawing on a canvas.

I had the sound working with flash using a small utility called sound manager. It was a pain, difficult to get working and keep working, but it did work in the end. However, the HTML 5 audio tag makes things easy and straightforward. For example:


1 <audio controls="controls" src="http://www.ogresoft.com/Japanese/TortoiseSVN_error.ogg" tabindex="0">
2 Your browser does not support the audio element.
3 </audio>





 If your browser doesn't support HTML 5, then go download a new one.

I never got the drawing canvas working. I considered processingjs, but HTML 5 came along before I got bored enough to make it work.

Ogresoft Kanji Quiz

So you can draw the kanji for the specified English word, instead of just a multiple choice scenario. I'll trust you to grade yourself correctly.

But my stuff is boring and rudimentary. Here are a couple of sites that do it right with canvases and drawing:
Harmony
and
Sketchpad
and here's another:

http://juliamap.googlelabs.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment